Sunday, October 24, 2004

Game One

We didn't deserve to win, but when you win a championship you have to have a little luck along the way, right? Some thoughts on the night:

* Manny and Millar should be thanking Bellhorn this morning and buying him a big red candle.
* All of Red Sox Nation (myself included) should be apologizing for calling for Bellhorn's head a mere week ago (sorry, man). I personally apologize for repeatedly saying unkind things about his general appearance throughout the season. I don't care if he looks like the elephant man, as long as he keeps crushing foul poles.
* It's official -- Tim McCarver is universally despised.
* Why didn't we see Yaz throw out the first pitch live? Couldn't we have cut the discussion with the poor old guys a little short so we could have seen Yaz live?
* Why didn't we hear a little bit of the crowd singing Sweet Caroline? It's one of the things that makes Fenway so great. Hell, even Mike and Mike from ESPN are into it. In the ALCS, we had to listen to the slower-than-molasses introduction of Ronan Tynan by the announcer guy who sounds like he's on his last breath, and then the extended intro before we even freakin' got to the actual God Bless America song. Give me 10 seconds of Sweet Caroline, please.
* Why was someone from TEXAS signing God Bless America at FENWAY? Was there NO ONE else available?
* Having World Series tickets can bring unexpected reactions. I opened the door to my brother's house to see him brandishing a large knife and demanding my tickets. His friend would barely speak to us, kept calling us, "You!" and giving us dirty looks.
* There are no words to describe how great it is to be able to be in Boston this week. I can't imagine anywhere else I would rather be, tickets or no tickets.